HOW CAN WE HELP YOU? Call 1-800-TRY-CHOP
In This Section
Measures to Minimize COVID-19 Transmission
Omicron, a variant of SARS-CoV-2, is quickly becoming the predominant variant causing infections within our region. Due to its transmissibility, social gatherings and shared workspaces remain a high-risk environment for COVID-19 spread. Please stress to faculty and staff in your programs to keep themselves safe, deploying the following measures:
- Effective immediately, CHOP-sponsored gatherings, whether in a CHOP building or off campus, should not have any food or drink. Do not bring in shared food for break rooms, as this leads to communal eating and opportunities for exposures.
- Please continue to always wear masks (and eye protection if caring for patients). Lunch time with masks off should be brief and should be associated with social distancing.
- Receive a booster vaccine dose as soon as possible, whether through a CHOP booster clinic or an off-site location such as your neighborhood pharmacy. A booster dose will increase circulating neutralizing antibodies, helping to prevent infection altogether or to reduce the peak concentration of viral shedding and the length of viral shedding if infection occurs.
- Be thoughtful and careful over the holidays, wearing masks in public indoor venues, avoiding large indoor groups, practicing good hand hygiene, maintaining social distancing, and obtaining testing if symptoms develop.
- Use the strategy of preemptive COVID-19 rapid antigen testing for family and small gatherings, especially if these gatherings include vulnerable individuals. Fortunately, all the testing platforms identify the omicron variant.
- Remain vigilant to development of symptoms, including mild symptoms that can be common with COVID-19 in vaccinated individuals. Fill out the Daily CHOP Check-in Tool prior to coming to work on-site each day.