My research is focused on investigating sources of variation in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics applying clinical pharmacologic investigation coupled with modeling and simulation strategies to pursue rational dosing guidance. My group develops pharmacometric approaches to advance PK/PD, medical informatics and disease progression modeling. We have also integrated model-based decision support systems with hospital electronic medical records and pioneered the pediatric knowledgebase development program for the past 6 years. My group is actively involved with creating disease progression models for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) and pancreatic cancer and his team is developing model-based development approaches for Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and gene therapy.
Cancer Epidemiology, Complementary/Alternative Medicine, Medical Informatics, Patient-Oriented Research, Pediatrics, Pharmacoepidemiology, Veterinary Epidemiology
Dr. Barrett investigates sources of variation in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, and the development of pharmacometric approaches to advance PK/PD, novel biomarker development and disease progression modeling.
Bayesian Modeling, Clinical Trials, Meta-analysis, Repeated Measures, Survival Analysis, Time Series, Bayesian Networks, Nonlinear, Mixed-Effect Modeling
- Research Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2011 – 2013)
- Research Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2003 – 2011)
- PhD, Pharmacokinetics, University of Michigan (1990)
- MS, Pharmacokinetics, University of Michigan (1987)
- BS, Chemical Engineering, Drexel University (1986)
- Ince I, de Wildt SN, Peeters MYM, Burggraaf K, Jacqz-Aigrain E, Barrett JS, Danhof M, Knibbe CAJ.. Oral bioavailability of the CYP3A substrate midazolam across the human age range from preterm neonates to adults. Abstr 2853. PAGE 22. 2013.
- Bai JP, Barrett JS, Burckart GJ, Meibohm B, Sachs H, Yao L.. Strategic Biomarkers for Drug Development in Treating Rare Diseases and Diseases in Neonates and Infants.. AAPS J. Vol 15(2) . 2013:447-54.
- McCune JS, Baker KS, Blough DK, Gamis A, Bemer MJ, Kelton-Rehkopf MC, Winter L, Barrett JS.. Prescribing patterns and pharmacokinetic-based targeting of intravenous busulfan in pediatric hematopoietic cell transplant recipients.. J Clin Pharmacol. Vol 53(3) . 2013:264-75.
- Della Casa Alberighi O, Barrett JS, Läer S, Meibohm B.. Response to: Physiologically Based Pharmacokinetic (PBPK) Modeling at the Extremes of Age. .. Clin Pharmacol and Therapeutics. Vol 93(2) . 2013:149.
- Stallings VA, Mondick JT, Schall JI, Barrett JS, Wilson M, Mascarenhas MR.. Diagnosing Malabsorption with Systemic Lipid Profiling: Pharmacokinetics of Pentadecanoic Acid and Triheptadecanoic Acid Following Oral Administration in Healthy Subjects and Subjects with Cystic Fibrosis.. Int J Clin Pharmacol Therapeut. Vol 51(4) . 2013:263-73.
- Barrett JS and Zuppa AF.. Basic Principles of Clinical Pharmacology Relevant to Pharmacoepidemiologic Studies. Textbook of Pharmacoepidemiology, Second Edition. Chichester, UK: Wiley; 2013.
- Marier JF, Mangum B, Reid B, and Barrett JS.. A Modelling and Simulations Framework to Support Global Regulatory Strategies for Pediatric Drug Development Programs.. Therapeutic Innovation and Regulatory Science. Vol 47(5) . 2013:550-556.
- Barrett JS, McGuire J, Vezina H, Spitsin S, Douglas SD. PET measurement of receptor occupancy as a tool to guide dose selection in neuropharmacology: Are we asking the right questions?. J Clin Psychopharmacol. Vol 33(6) . 2013:725-8.
- Zajicek A, Fossler MJ, Barrett JS, Worthington J, Ternik R, Mclaren D, Charkoftaki G, Lum S, Breitkreutz J, Belthazar M, Mancheros P, Khan M, and Agharkar R.. Pediatric Formulations: Challenges and Potential Solutions.. AAPS J. Vol 15(4) . 2013:1072-81.
- Bajaj G, Dombrowsky E, Yu Q, Agarwal B, Barrett JS.. Considerations for the Prediction of Survival Time in Pancreatic Cancer Based on Registry Data.. J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn. Vol 40. 2013:527-36.